fabric in frames

image via bhg.com
What to do when you're bored with your art? When you can't stand to hang another beach scene, fruit still life, vintage advertising poster, botanical print, or portrait? Give your walls a little break from the usual and frame up some fabric. The result is a refreshing change and can bring some pretty pattern and lively color to a bare wall. And did I mention it's cheap? Especially if you are lucky enough to have some remnants left over from some old pillow or curtain project. Put those scraps to use and fill some frames. I did this when I first moved into my place with some old samples of discontinued fabrics. It was fast, easy, and--since I already had some old frames--free.


I liked the results so much I kept doing it. There's some framed fabric in almost every one of my rooms.



Here's some more inspiration.

image via Country Living


from lulalouise.com

You can also go large and create art that's really beautiful and dramatic. Check out the impact of this colorful ikat fabric below.

Elle Decor image via aliciabdesigns.blogspot.com

And this is one of my favorites.

image via Canadian House and Home

In her daughter's room, designer Julie Charbonneau framed a large piece of silk toile and used it as a backdrop for an adorable print. How plain this wall would have looked without it!


So, what do you think? Have you used fabric as art? Have these images inspired you to try it?

No comments